The theme for the IPMEN 2023 conference is Linking Traditional Ecological Knowledge and Ocean Literacy. The four IPMEN 2023 conference strands are:
Strand 1: Highlighting Pacific-wide examples of the links between TEK and Ocean Literacy with a focus on traditional ocean voyaging.
Strand 2: Highlighting Pacific-wide examples of the links between TEK and Ocean Literacy with a focus on tsunamis.
Strand 3: Refining and supporting work already done on establishing protocols for scientists and educators working with traditional communities.
Strand 4: Exemplary programs that link TEK to Ocean Literacy.
Conference Format : The IPMEN conference committee has devised a concept for a hybrid conference that would involve both delegates attending the conference in person and virtual delegates. Virtual delegates would be able to submit a 5-minute pre-recorded video presentation on one of the four conference strands and these pre-recorded presentations would be mixed with similar “lightening” presentations by delegates attending the conference. Then, to allow the virtual delegates to be involved directly in the conference we plan to hold a web-based question and answer follow-up session of one hour each evening. This virtual Talanoa will be from 4.00 pm to 5.00 pm in Victoria but is based the following Pacific-wide times:
- 6.00 am to 7.00 am in Indonesia (next day).
- 7.00 am to 8.00 am in Taiwan (next day).
- 8.00 am in 9.00 am Japan (next day).
- 9.00 am in 10.00 am Eastern Australia and 7.00 am to 8.00 am in Western Australia (next day).
- 1.00 pm to 2.00 pm in Hawaii (same day) – similar times in the central Pacific.
- 6.00 pm to 7.00 pm in Peru and 7.00 pm to 8.00 pm in Chile (same day).
Next: IPMEN 2023 Presentations
Back: Opening Page