The IPMEN 2020 conference theme of One Ocean, Many Connections reflects not only the overall goal of working towards a sustainable ocean but also an emphasis on networking and connections that involve underrepresented voices. As well as the usual scientists and educators, we aim to hear from elders with traditional knowledge of ocean systems and the young people to whom we entrust the future of ocean systems.
The following five strands are planned for IPMEN 2020 keynote presentations and concurrent sessions over the three days of the conference. The conference organising committee is also exploring a range of options to make this a green (sustainable living) conference for participants.
- Land and sea connections – thinking holistically about the ocean and land and our activities on them.
- Connecting traditional knowledge and modern ways – exploring the synergy of respecting and incorporating many ways of knowing.
- Improving connections between communities and ocean science – building a generation of scientists, educators, citizens and decision makers who work together to support sustainability of the ocean and coastal communities.
- Connecting local actions with global engagements – utilizing the coconut wireless (local networks) to broadband (global) webs to share and collaborate on ocean education and research projects.
- Continuing to build international connections and networks – building and realising regional marine education associations and linking them internationally.
A call for presenters of papers and posters relating to these five strands is now open. This first-round call for papers will close on Friday February 14, 2020 but please submit your abstracts as early as possible.
Call for presenters for IPMEN 2020 is now open
You can submit your abstract via Google Forms at PRESENTERS 2020
If you are unable to access Google Forms you can download and complete the IPMEN Abstract (pdf) form then attach your abstract (max 150 words) and bio (max 150 words) and email them to Pacific Rim Concepts at firstname.lastname@example.org.